Thursday, May 12, 2011

Steaming a Goose Egg

Down here on the Farm we have two lovely female geese who give us GIGANTIC eggs very frequently. We sell them at the farm stand and people are frequently asking about how you cook them, what do they taste like, etc. I had only known from my Mother what they are like... and hearsay just doesn't cut it for me when it comes to food (and wine!) so I had to try one for myself. My favorite way to cook any egg is to steam it. I love when the center is runny because that is when you can really taste all that rich flavor. Steaming the egg also preserves that virgin look unlike frying which makes both sides browned and, at least when I do it, ugly.


How to Steam an Egg:
Steamed Goose Egg
  • turn the stove on medium heat and melt a little bit of butter or oil what ever you choose just enough so the egg wont stick to the pan. 
  • when the pan is hot enough (I usually flick a little water onto the pan and if it sizzles then the pan is hot enough) crack the egg into the pan. Have about a tablespoon of water close at hand and a cover large enough to fit around the egg inside the pan. Immediately after cracking the egg into the pan drizzle the tablespoon of water around the perimeter of the egg and quickly cover it. Let the egg steam for about 50 seconds to 1 minute (for a goose egg, since it is larger, cook for about a minute).
  • lift off the cover and make sure there is a translucent white color covering the yolk, that means it is cooked to perfection! If you can still see the vibrant orange of the yolk clearly, put the cover back on for a few more seconds. 
  • When your egg is done simply slide it onto a plate sprinkle a little bit of salt and pepper (or seasoning of your choice) and enjoy! 

Savor the Flavor!
  • The yolk of this to me was very different than a chicken egg. I detected flowery notes in the yolk of the goose egg unlike the more earthy flavor of a chicken egg. It was so delightful.
  • The white of the egg was also very thick and firm... amazing!
  • Cooking mistake: My heat was on high when I started this process which caused a little browning on the outer white and that dark ring around the outside of the yolk... this is why medium- medium-low heat the entire way through is much better. You will come out with perfect color and minimal if no browning at all. My Mother always tells me, "Julia, your heat is too HIGH! Low and slow is better it preserves taste." 
**Being part of the right now! generation I tend to rush everything but when it comes to cooking and life for that matter it is imperative that we all slow down and enjoy the process... it will be well worth the wait.




Enjoy Great Taste!

2 comments:

  1. I love eggs, for any meal or snack the possibilities are endless. Having never tried goose eggs I find myself now craving their taste.
    Are they available any time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, usually, :)
    We only have two lady geese in the back so we get about 6 egg's a week, approx.
    I don't think geese lay as effeciently as chickens do, as chickens lay an egg every 26 hours. But... we haven't had geese eggs this week so far so either my Mom hasn't collected or they are saving all their egg laying for the weekend! I will assume I will find a sink full when I get to work this morning ready to be cleaned and enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete